Hanoi street food has been well-know for its fresh ingredients and healthy balance, the city is packed with places to eat street food. Here a quick guide to the most famous street food of Hanoi and where to taste them!
Pho of Hanoi
Pho is a special gift of Hanoi. Many places are having “pho”, not just Hanoi, but only Pho of Hanoi is delicious.
Delicious pho must be “classic” pho, cooked with beef. Besides, the broth is clear and sweet broth, and the cake is flexible, but not crushed, the meat is crunchy, not tough with lemon, chili, and onion.
Fresh herbs (rau thom tuoi), north pepper, drops of lemon nuggets, and a, little more “ca cuong” (ca cuong is a fragrant oil made from an insect), slightly like a doubt.
Fresh noodle roll of Hanoi (pho cuon)
Fresh spring roll is one of Hanoi’s delicious dishes typical of Hanoi people.
Beef is wrapped in large noodle cake, combined with herbs (rau thom), lettuce (xa lach) to create an attractive and delicious dish, which is loved by many people.
- Huong Mai fresh noodle rolls: No.25, Ngu Xa, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi. Price 55.000 VND/ dish of 10 pieces. (Map)
- Hung Ben fresh noodle rolls: No.3, Ngu Xa, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi. Price 55.000 VND/ dish of 10 pieces (Map)
Combo noodle soup of Hanoi (Bun Thang)
Hanoi combo noodle soup is a more sophisticated dish, made from about 20 ingredients to create a vermicelli bowl.
Including the main ingredients: finely chopped fried chicken eggs, sliced chicken breast, thin steamed pork roll (gio lua), shrimp, squid, coriander (rau ram), Eryngium … all sprinkled on a nice bowl of vermicelli as a picture.
Some famous Hanoi combo noodle soup shops:
- Bun thang Bun bung Cau Go Hanoi combo noodle soup: No. 32, Cau Go, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. Price 35. 000 VND / bowl.(Map)
- Hang Hom Hanoi combo noodle soup: No.2, Hang Chi lane, Hang Hom, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. Price 35.000 VND / bowl.
Grilled Pork Meatballs with Noodles of Hanoi (Bun cha)
The grilled pork meatballs with noodles of the Hanoi people is vermicelli to be served with a bowl of pickled papaya. The coal slightly scorches grilled fatty pork (cha), but it is fragrant, sweet, lean and not dry.
Grilled pork meatballs with noodles are served with raw vegetables, chili to create great flavor.
Also, several grilled pork meatballs with noodle shops still retain the sophistication and subtlety. The meat here is baked with fresh bamboo sticks to create a very distinct aromatic flavor.
Some Grilled Pork stalls Meatballs with Noodles are famous, delicious for a long time in Hanoi:
- Grilled Pork stalls Meatballs with Noodles with bamboo sticks in the market of Dong Xuan: bun cha here is out of stock very early (4:30 pm)
- Bun Cha 41 Cua Dong str, Hanoi Old Quarter (Map)
- Huong Lien Grilled Pork stalls Meatballs with Noodles is also known as Obama Grilled Pork stalls Meatballs with Noodle. Price 45.000 VND / rate at No. 24, Le Van Huu, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi. (Map)
- Duy Diem Grilled Pork stalls Meatballs with Noodles at No.140 Ngoc Khanh, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi.(Map)
- Bamboo sticks grilled pork stalls meatballs with noodles at 213 Bach Mai lane, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi. Only open from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. (Map)
Crab noodle soup of Hanoi (bun rieu cua)
The ingredients for making crab noodle soup is only freshly washed crabs, ripped and pounded, filtered to boil water to make crab meat into a solid cake floating on the water.
Delicious crab noodle soup bowl with the presence of white vermicelli, pink, brown crab bricks, red tomatoes, green onions, little shrimp sauce to stink, fried fragrant onion, golden cooked beans, pig’s head paste (gio tai) is served with many raw vegetables such as marjoram, lettuce, coriander.
Some famous crab noodle soup shops in Hanoi:
- Quang Trung crab noodle soup: No.2F, Quang Trung, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. Price: 35.000-45.000 VND/bowl. (Map)
- Nguyen Sieu crab noodle soup: No.23, Nguyen Sieu, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. Price: 35.000-45.000 VND/bowl.(Map)
Fermented shrimp paste noodle (bun dau mam tom)
Fermented shrimp paste is a prevalent and delicious dish with a few small pieces of leaf vermicelli and some small chopped beans, which is deep in the fat to the crispy and golden, then take it out and eat with the shrimp paste, chili, sugar, a little lemon.
Picking up a piece of vermicelli, a small piece of prawn paste, then eating with marjoram, Perilla, train smell, you will feel the aroma of vermicelli, the greasy taste of beans, the sweet and salty taste of the fine shrimp paste. This combination of songs is lovely and difficult to deny.
Picking up a piece of vermicelli, a piece of beans, dipping a little bit of shrimp sauce and eating with marjoram (kinh gioi), perilla (tia to), eryngium (mui tau) to enjoy the aroma of vermicelli, the greasy taste of beans, the sweet and salty taste of the shrimp paste. This combination of songs is beautiful and difficult to deny.
Some famous fermented shrimp paste noodle in Hanoi:
- Trung Huong fermented shrimp paste noodle (Phat Loc lane, Hanoi) Map
- Grilled heart fermented shrimp paste noodle (Hoang Cau)
- Cay da fermented shrimp paste noodle (Thuy Khue)
Doc Mung noodle soup (bun moc doc mung)
Doc Mung noodle soup is worth to try when coming to Hanoi. It’s not too picky, doc mung noodle soup only consists of a few vermicelli, a few slices of sliced pork legs, some sprouting. You can add ribs or pig’s feet, a little green “doc mung”, and a little the water from the bone.
The crunchy, and not itchy “doc mung”, and the clear, sweet broth.
Some famous Doc Mung noodle soup in Hanoi:
- Bun moc Thuy, Dao Duy Tu “mixture” Pork Paste Noodle Soup at 10C Dao Duy Tu lane, Hang Buom, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi (Map)
- Bun moc 57 Hang Luoc Pork Paste Noodle Soup (Map)
- Sour Rib Noodle Soup at Xa Dan Street
Snail noodle soup (bun oc)
Snail noodle soup with a piece of red tomato lying on the white vermicelli, green of onion, Perilla, dark gray of snails, the point of water crab with a bit of yellow fat is always the most favorite gift of Hanoi people.
It is true that if you enjoy a delicious snail bowl to feel the sweet and sour taste of the vinegar, the mild spicy of chili blends with the toughness of the snail and the noodle. You will understand why those who go far away love this dish.
Some famous snail noodle soup shops in Hanoi:
- Ba Sau snail noodle at No. 73A, Mai Hac De, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi.
- Hoe Nhai snail noodle at No.2, Hoe Nhai, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi (Map)
- Doi Can snail noodle at No.202, Doi Can, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi.
Goose noodle soup (bun ngan) – goose grilled fatty pork (cha ngan)
Goose grilled fatty pork made from bone-filtered of goose, thick, soft, buttery, marinated meat is grilled with charcoal. Meat is also selected lean, with less packaging and fat.
Goose grilled fatty pork is served with a bowl of bamboo shoots and vermicelli dishes.
- Bun Ngan ba Thu 31 Ly Quoc Su (Map)
Fish cakes (cha ca)
Fish cakes of the Hanoi people are served with tangled vermicelli, basil (rau hung), roasted peanuts, peeled onions, a bowl of shrimp sauce to be prepared elaborately. If you cannot eat shrimp sauce, you can also call fish sauce to instead.
Fish is the main raw material, processed mainly from lentils, basa fish and fruit fish … The chef cuts the fish into pieces, fried in oil, and then put both the kitchen and the pan on the table for the guests.
People eat onions, dill into the pan, and stir up. Pick up a small vermicelli chopstick into the bowl, add some peanuts, herbs, a piece of fish and some onion in the hot pan, which is sucking the smoke, sprinkle on the small spoon of shrimp sauce and start enjoying.
At that time, things blended to create the delicious taste of Hanoi’s specialty.
Three famous fish cake shops in Hanoi:
- La Vong fish cakes at No. 14, Cha Ca Street – Hanoi (Map)
- Thang Long fish cakes at No. 19, 21, 31, Duong Thanh Street (Map)
- Anh Vu fish cakes at No. 120, Giang Vo Street.
Bread stew (banh mi sot vang)
When the cold wind returns, enjoying the bread of wine sauce is too great. Crunchy hot bread is served with stew sauce, aromatic smell and full of meat. Soft beef tendon meat is just medium and tough enough and creates a great dish.
Some famous bread stew in Hanoi:
- Lane 35 Thai Thinh bread stew, Dong Da district, Hanoi
- Hang Bong, Cua Nam Street bread stew (Map)
Steamed rice roll (banh cuon)
Steamed rice roll is made from thin, tough and soft rice flour. The core of the steamed rice roll is added to a few wood ear mushrooms or minced meat served with fat rolls, cinnamon rolls.
The dipping sauce is mixed skillfully and hot. Some places also add aromatic “ca cuong” oil, (ca cuong is a fragrant oil made from an insect) in the dipping sauce.
Some famous and delicious steamed rice roll shops in Hanoi:
- Thanh Van steamed rice roll at No.14, Hang Ga, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi (Map)
- Ba Hoanh steamed rice roll at No. 66, To Hien Thanh, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi.
Mung Bean Dumplings of Hanoi (banh khuc)
Mung bean dumplings (banh khuc) or sticky rice over spinach rice dumplings (xoi khuc) is a kind of cake originating from the Northern Delta, made from the leaves of cudweed, glutinous rice, green bean, fat pork. Cakes are usually made in the cudweed season – the occasion of February and March of the lunar calendar.
In Hanoi, cakes are often sold in the evenings by sellers (usually men). They often wear a basket of cakes on their heads and walk along the streets and advertise: “Xoi nong banh khuc di, xoi nong banh khuc nao!” or “Ai banh khuc nong day!” There are many different ways of advertising with a very special tone that becomes a characteristic of Hanoi people.
Rice Pyramid Dumplings (banh gio)
Referring to the fruit cake in Hanoi, it is unreasonable to the lack of rice pyramid dumplings. The famous cake, the typical price, and the restaurant are also famous as this rice pyramid dumplings, but how much is pleased with Hanoi people.
You can have breakfast with rice pyramid dumplings for breakfast. In the afternoon, it becomes the afternoon gift for the warm belly. One week, it is fine for a few days to eat rice pyramid dumplings.
Rice pyramid dumplings must always be hot, the perfect combination between the crust made from rice flour, a full portion of minced meat and ear-wood. Rice pyramid dumplings are often served with pork pies (gio cha) and a few drops of chili sauce. Some places also sell pickled cucumbers to eat.
Some famous rice pyramid dumplings shops in Hanoi
- Thuy Khue rice pyramid dumplings, at No.3-5, Thuy Khue, Tay Ho district, Hanoi (Map)
- Nguyen Cong Tru rice pyramid dumplings, at Nguyen Cong Tru Street, Hai Ba Trung district.
West Lake shrimp sweet potato fritter (banh tom)
Shrimp is wrapped in flour and put into the old hot fat pan to be filled with bread. The cake swells up, turns into yellow as well as have a cloyingly fragrant smell. Then, picking up the cake to put it on the two chopsticks that are horizontal to the pan and let the grease run dry.
Eating hotcakes with sour, sweet and spicy sauces, add little pickled vegetables (papaya and finely chopped carrots).
Shrimp cakes are served with lettuce and add tangled vermicelli, which is very suitable for beer. (Map)
Steamed rice cake (banh duc nong)
Flexible steamed rice cake, submerged in a layer of clear and rich water. The core of steamed rice cake is made by stir-fried meat with ear-wood, minced coriander, and fragrant onions. It was great to eat at a hot time in the afternoon.
Le Ngoc Han’s steamed rice cake is hidden in an alley at the beginning of Le Ngoc Han.
Rice patties (cha com)
The unique flavor of rice patties has become a symbolic image for the talent of the imperial land cuisine. Hot spring rolls are still crispy, green sticky rice (com) outside. Inside the green sticky rice is fragrant, pliable, and the grilled fatty pork (cha) flavors create the typical flavor of autumn Hanoi. You can use rice patties with rice or with bean vermicelli to create delicious food.
Rice patties are sold at many markets in Hanoi. But Vong village rice patties and Khuong Thuong market rice patties are considered to be the best meatloaf places.
Sandworm omelette (cha ruoi)
Hanoi people often cast sandworm omelette with chicken eggs, pureed pork, season spice just enough and fry the gold sandworm omelet. When fired, it has a fragrant flavor. The flavor of the sand worm omelette combined with tangerine peels makes a great dish to enjoy. If you want to enjoy this food, you can visit the old streets like Gia Ngu, Cha Ca, Hang Be … Sandworm omelette is served with vermicelli and raw vegetables, similar to grilled pork meatballs with noodles of Hanoi (Bun cha)
Dried beef salad (nom bo kho)
It is a favorite dish of Hanoi people. The sweet and spicy dried beef salad combines with the crispy papaya, which has created a delicious and attractive Hanoi dish.
Some famous dried beef salad shops in Hanoi:
• Long Vi Dung Ho salad, No.23, Hoan Kiem Lake, Hang Bac, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi (Map)
• Mai Nga salad, No.25, Ham Long, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi (Map)
Deep-fried pork roll (nem chua ran)
Pork roll is rolled over a layer of wheat flour, fried twice to have crispness. The crunchy and greasy crust, but still retains the taste of sour pork and combines with the spicy chili sauce, which enchants many people.
Some famous deep-fried pork roll shops in Hanoi
- No. 36, Tam Thuong lane deep-fried pork roll, at No.40, Tam Thuong Lane, Hang Bong, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi (Map)
- Tran Xuan Soan deep-fried pork roll, at No.8, Tran Xuan Soan, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi. (Map)
Grilled pork roll (nem chua nuong)
Like deep-fried spring rolls, grilled pork roll has also appeared in the life of Hanoi people for a long time. The grilled pork roll is often more favored by people because it is hot and less cloyingly than deep-fried pork roll.
Some famous grilled pork roll shops in Hanoi:
- Au Trieu grilled pork roll, at No.10. Au Trieu, Hang Trong, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. (Map)
Famous dried apricots streets in Hanoi: Hang Duong, Hang Ngang, Hang Dao, Hang Bong, Hang Da.
We hope you enjoy Hanoi street food, taste the original fresh food recipes of Vietnam. Experience Hanoi as locals thus street food is a must to try.